Friday, March 19, 2010

Sugar Addiction

I had a friend growing up who's parents would swipe all the sugar, sweet & low, equal, creamers, ketchup packets, little mini jellys, ect. So this included not only what they were given at restaurants / fast food, but also what they could swipe off the table.

The kicker, they ate out 3x a day religiously. So as you can imagine this stuff accumulated quickly. They would literally have piles of these little packets in the kitchen.

So one day, my friend and I decided to spend the majority of the day taking all the little sugars, opening the packets and pouring them into a large container. There was a sugar container, an Equal container, and a Sweet n Low container.

We couldn't wait to show her parents what we did. We proudly presented our pain-staking work... and the next day, guess what we saw a pile of on the counter... yes... effing travel-sized condiments and sweeteners. They just couldn't help themselves I guess.

How does this story relate to my job in any way, shape or form?

I have two regulars in The Bay, who I just can't for the life of me figure out why they still come to see me. They are attractive, hygienic, polite, funny, successful, and in healthy relationships. They have all those neatly organized containers of sweeteners so to speak. I can only imagine at some point I was a habit they developed in order to fill a need. But why continue? I don't see how I fill a need for them anymore, and it's not habit any longer. After all, I live in another state now. It's not like we have weekly visits. It's not like they are obligated any further... or ever were for that matter. Yet I get greeting cards full of adorable kitty cats, clever nerd jokes and well wishes from these two. And every time I go back to the bay, they always aim to make time for me.

It just kind of baffles my mind. I'm cool, but I'm not that cool. I'm special, but I'm not that special. Then again, the only other person I know, who they have this sort of relationship with is my best friend, and she is that special... so maybe I'm underestimating myself? Maybe they see the same light inside me that I see inside her? Who knows? I've tried to figure it out for over a year now, and I'm still baffled.

1 comment: